This expansive seven bedroomed property situated on Buncrana shore front, built in the 1890s, had a thorough deep retrofit overhaul.
With both homeowners having an extensive architectural background they were both conscious of the impact the deep retrofit would have on paper.
The improvement on insulation, airtightness and energy consumption is clear with the 3-phase 16kw heat pump achieving up to 520% (COP) efficiency.
The BER rating rose from an F to an A3 which transfers into huge savings on the running costs of the property.
Works carried out
- Removal of internal concrete and wooden floors and install of hardcore, dpm, 100mm Kingspan insulation TF70
- Installing underfloor heating to ground floor powered by a 16kw Danfoss air source heat pump, new radiators to first floor
- Install of 100mm eps external wall insulation with Enewall wet dash white render system
- Replace a mixture of single and double glazed windows with superior triple glazed, 0.8 w/m2k and composite doors
- Existing flat roof with no insulation was removed and 100mm Kingspan added along with new trocal weatherproof covering
- The attic had 300 mm Knauf fiberglass added along with new wooden storage area and walkways to prevent stored items compressing the new insulation
- A full heat recovery ventilation system (Vent Axia) was also retrofitted to the entire house, through lathe and plaster ceilings and walls
- Entire property was taped and sealed to reduce the air leakage from 11.7m3/h/m2 down to 2.9 m3/h/m2
- All existing electrics were overhauled and 100% led lighting installed
- The existing slate roof and barges were extended using traditional roofing materials, no metal flashings were used that would detract from the style and age of the dwelling
- A full kitchen makeover and extension was also undertaken
- One of the 7 chimneys was retained, insulated and flued along with a Doris fire door. The remaining flues were all capped
- Structural steel works, internal rendering, outbuilding removal , groundworks etc all took place to complete this formidable home
- All thermal bridges were eliminated or minimised